1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Active" mode problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by klokker, Apr 18, 2015.

1. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I have a G&L L2500 USA that has developed a problem in active mode.

No problems in passive mode, but in active mode I've lost volume and if I hit a note hard, the preamp seems to "fart out". There is some volume happening just very little. I put in several new batteries with no improvement.

A few months ago, the bass started giving a mild "pop" in active mode when I touched the strings, as if there might be a grounding problem, but it wasn't noticeable enough to bother anyone else, and I didn't really care, so I just let it go. Active mode still worked normally at that time. So maybe my grounding problem is worse?

Anyway, now in active mode I just have very low output and some hiss etc. Passive mode is normal, for now I"ve just taken out the battery and it works fine at gigs etc. I've taken the bridge off before and "re-grounded" the bass, so that's no big deal but I thought I would check here first before I tried that again.

Thanks for any ideas.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The pop when you touch the strings is static electricity discharging, a proper shielding job will remedy that. The ground appears to be fine. I cannot help you with the volume loss issue, sorry.

klokker likes this.
  3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Sounds so much like a low/bad battery. Maybe it's a bad battery connection?

klokker likes this.
  4. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    It could be, but I've messed with it quite a bit with no improvement. I've squished around the battery connector to see if I can get a better connection with no results, I suppose I could cut it up take it apart and look.

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I was thinking more at the preamp end.

klokker likes this.
  6. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Now you've lost me. I wouldn't even know where to look. I play my bass a lot, but I have no clue about how the thing actually works.

7. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Follow the wires from battery connector to where the hook to the preamp. If any wires are bundled together cut the wire tie clip the tie carefully insuring you do not clip the wires in the process. Now lay I on your lap or some surface with it plugged in to amp and while plucking a string move each wire one at a time to see if one causes it to cut in and out. Report results please

klokker likes this.
  8. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Can't do it until this evening. I'll give it a try.........thanks.

9. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I looked at the pre-amp (I know its the preamp because it says "preamp" on it) and everything looks normal. Nothing looks wrong. All the pots and switches work on active, its just really low on volume and farts out when you hit a string hard. It's just like a dead battery, but I've put new batteries in it and no improvement. ???? I wiggled things around, nothing changes.

The black wire off my battery goes right to the input for the cable, the red wire goes through the bass pot first before it gets to the preamp. I really know nothing about this.

10. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    My suggestion is to take it to someone who knows. If I had to make a guess I would say bad preamp but you don't give me much to go on

klokker likes this.
  11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I've owned dozens of basses over my years. Every once in a while preamps do fail and you need a new one. I'd take it to a pro and get it diagnosed

klokker and LoveThatBass like this.