Active or passive basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Passive

42 vote(s)
  2. Active

33 vote(s)
  3. Both

53 vote(s)
  1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Question is simple.
  2. steve21

steve21 Banned

Both. My jazz bass will stay passive for its entire life, but my next bass will likely be active.
  3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I tried active and went back to passive. I like things simple. Plus, I hate worrying about forgetting about unplugging the bass or the batteries dying in general.
  4. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Most of mine are active, but I have one passive. It's really nice, so I don't miss it on that one.
  5. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I play both. A passive Fender Jazz with Basslines SJB-2 pick ups and an active Ibanez. I prefer the passive Jazz tone.

If I owned an active HH Stingray my preference would change. The tonal possibilities with that set up is amazing.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I prefer passive, but I like having an onboard preamp that I can bypass. Give me a passive bass with an OBP-1 anytime.
  7. matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I've been playing actives for years, but my Rumblefish is passive and it's "the" bass for me. Looking for another to turn into a fretless now.
  8. +1, passive basses give me the basic sound I like and I hate the idea of being dependent on a battery. Both my current basses are passive and when I have had active passes, I´ve used them in the passive mode for 95% of the time. That said, there are situations where an onboard active EQ can come in handy, so it´s a nice option to have.
  9. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    both at the same time. thank you G&L!
  10. koolkef

Jan 11, 2006
    Started with a passive Ibanez 5 String but recently purchased a Warwick FNA Jazzman for myself for christmas where I can switch from passive to active although I rather the passive for jazz chords and active when it comes to the slap!

11. gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA

Be flexible and diverse
  12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
  13. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    For now, it's passive all the way for me. I've had two active basses, an Ibanez SRX500 and Fender Am. Deluxe P, and I sold both because I generally prefer the raw, "organic" tone of passive electronics. But I'm certainly open to trying more active basses, because I don't think either of my earlier ones had very good preamps, and the flexibility is appealing. The G&L L-2000 is probably tops on my GAS list at the moment.
  14. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I have two active Modulus basses and one passive P bass. When I want to go old school I pull out the P bass.
  15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Active only for me... At least 18v with 3 band pres...

16. Right now both of my basses are active, but I'd like to add at least one good passive bass to my collection. I miss my old Reverend...:bawl:
  17. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
  18. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Another vote for Passive. I've had a few Active basses and I always go back to the Passive ones, I just prefer the tone and ease of use.

19. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i play a Carvin that has a battery compartment... so i'm assuming it's active. i played an active one week at church and the next week i played a passive Squier Jazz. it was so much quieter, so i just prefer the sound and volume of active basses.
  20. Passive for me right now. But I will own a couple active basses at some time so I guess it will be both for me then.

I do love my passive though.