Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active or passive for fretless 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WalterG, Jan 21, 2005.

1. WalterG

WalterG

Jan 21, 2005
    I currently play a 4-string fretless P, but are now looking for a 5-string fretless. The Warwick Rockbass Streamer looks especially interesting. However, where I live, the stores do not keep fretless 5:s in stock so I can't try them out without ordering...

Do anyone have any recommendations concerning fretless 5:s?

Do a fretless 5 need active pickups to sound good?

/ WalterG

2. not necessarily: if the bass is well conceived, and the pickups are hot enough you only have less "tweaking" options that you would have with a preamp onboard. It also dependa on your tastes. Check a simple Fender J5 American or Mexican series by yourself whenever you can (I understand it's difficult where you are, uh?)

3. P.S.: there are wonderful instruments with good electronics at very reasonable prices around. Currently I am just waiting for my Gary Willis B35 fretless 5 (check it at www.garywillis.com) I bought it at Bassnw (these guys are to die for!) for 550 plus s&h and you can't beat this bass as for q/p!!!

4. WalterG

WalterG

Jan 21, 2005
    I have checked the link out, seems like a cool bass... On the internet the list price was 799 however, you must have got a really good deal at your store!

But all modern Ibanez basses I played has necks that are too thin/flat for my taste, is this one as flat as Ibanez usually are?

/ WalterG

5. I am afraid yes!!! If you want something with an unbeatable q/p and a more "substantial" neck, checkout the Lakland Skyline 55-01: 35 inches scale, incredibly good. The best dealers you can find on the upper part of the planet for these are: Steve "The Dude" Barr (www.vintagebass.com) in Az and Beaver Felton (www.basscentral.com) in Fl.

Ask them if they have a second hand sample or a demo; but also new it should gravitate around the 550-600 area. Excellent axe.

P.S.: Bassnw is not "my store", in the sense that it is not exactly round the corner near my home: I am in center Italy and they are... in Seattle WA Usa!!!!! www.bassnw.com check also with them if they have some 55-01; look at theyr online inventory.