Active or passive for fretless 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WalterG, Jan 21, 2005.

1. WalterG

Jan 21, 2005
    I currently play a 4-string fretless P, but are now looking for a 5-string fretless. The Warwick Rockbass Streamer looks especially interesting. However, where I live, the stores do not keep fretless 5:s in stock so I can't try them out without ordering...

Do anyone have any recommendations concerning fretless 5:s?

Do a fretless 5 need active pickups to sound good?

/ WalterG
  2. not necessarily: if the bass is well conceived, and the pickups are hot enough you only have less "tweaking" options that you would have with a preamp onboard. It also dependa on your tastes. Check a simple Fender J5 American or Mexican series by yourself whenever you can (I understand it's difficult where you are, uh?)
  3. P.S.: there are wonderful instruments with good electronics at very reasonable prices around. Currently I am just waiting for my Gary Willis B35 fretless 5 (check it at I bought it at Bassnw (these guys are to die for!) for 550 plus s&h and you can't beat this bass as for q/p!!!
  4. WalterG

Jan 21, 2005
    I have checked the link out, seems like a cool bass... On the internet the list price was 799 however, you must have got a really good deal at your store!

But all modern Ibanez basses I played has necks that are too thin/flat for my taste, is this one as flat as Ibanez usually are?

/ WalterG
  5. I am afraid yes!!! If you want something with an unbeatable q/p and a more "substantial" neck, checkout the Lakland Skyline 55-01: 35 inches scale, incredibly good. The best dealers you can find on the upper part of the planet for these are: Steve "The Dude" Barr ( in Az and Beaver Felton ( in Fl.

Ask them if they have a second hand sample or a demo; but also new it should gravitate around the 550-600 area. Excellent axe.

P.S.: Bassnw is not "my store", in the sense that it is not exactly round the corner near my home: I am in center Italy and they are... in Seattle WA Usa!!!!! check also with them if they have some 55-01; look at theyr online inventory.