Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active or Passive for Rock/Punk/Emo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XR3MYX, Oct 13, 2005.

1. XR3MYX

XR3MYX

Jul 15, 2004
    So when I did a search for active and passive, I came across some info that intrigued me. That a passive bass will have a different sound that an active bass. From what I read the passive will have a more 'woody' sound.

Anyways, to my point. I'm looking to buy a Muisc Man S.U.B. (poor man's stingray), and I'm tryen to decide between an X01 and X02. One is passive, and one is active. I want a good sound (sumthen that will cut through guitars, and drums), I guess I'm looking for what I'd call a 'bright' sound. Something similar to The Bouncing Souls, Less Than Jake, or Authority Zero. Where the bass still has the 'bass' tone but cuts through and you can hear it as long as feel it. Would active electronics give me this tone? Since from what I;ve read it gives the signal from the pick-ups a 'boost' before it leave the bass or am I confused on this.

Sorry if this turns into a active vs. passive thread, that was not my intention at all. I'm just tryen to find which electroincs will give me the sound I want. The local (well not really local, but the closest one to me) guitar center only has passive S.U.B's so I can't try an active to see what the sound will be. I'll probably be running it through an Ampeg BA-112 with ernie ball slinkies, if that help's any.

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    You don't really need active, but it wouldn't hurt. That tone is a lot from the amp, as a lot of those players play Ps and Js, in addition to the few that play active. Your choice man, sit down and see what you like.

3. I know for a fact that Roger from Less Than Jake used a Sterling for a lot of his recordings and live work... I remember my parents buying me one for Christmas many, many, many years ago for the very same reason (and I still own it).

Basically, there's a lot of things that go into giving these guys their tone. For the most part, I'd even say it's their amp setup. The preamp on active bass guitars essentially is an onboard amplifier. They're good for reducing noise (if they're good) and giving you a more defined tone if you like to be really, really picky.

If I were in your shoes and were deciding between two EB/MM's, I'd go with the active. EB/MM basically sells their instruments based off of the craftsmanship and their electronics. You cannot go wrong with an active EB/MM, even an SUB.

4. XR3MYX

XR3MYX

Jul 15, 2004
    marcusalan, thanks! I'll prolly be pickin one up in the next couple weeks.