Active or Passive input?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassguitar, Sep 15, 2005.

1. (start)
    Squire P (passive) ->
    Boss ME50B ->
    Q-Tron+ (sometimes) ->
    Yorkville XS800

Should I be using the Active (-6db) or Passive input on the amp? Not sure exactly what the Boss is putting out. Right now both sound fine, but I'm not sure which I should "technically" use.

Muchas Gracias.
  2. There's no wrong or right concerning this. There was a thread talking about this a month or so back, if you do a search. All my basses are active, and I always use the passive (non-attenuated) input on amps where I have a choice. My signal does not clip the preamp, and it sounds a little 'better' to me... a little more full range... hard to describe (I assume maybe because there is an extra capacitor or something in the signal chain to pad the input down?... not sure. If you are clipping... use the padded active input.... no rules!
  3. I have mainly actives and do the same

Aslong as you arent clipping the presection, your fine to use the passive :)

I often use my BDDI with an active bass, aswell as using the level swtich to LINE ( 12 dB increase or something ), and turn the level dial up until i get it clipping when im hitting it really hard, then just turn down a notch, its really pushing the limits of the pre section, but, its still good :)