Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

active or passive ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Basswou, May 3, 2001.

1. Basswou

Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    Belgium
    If you could choose between active or passive preamps in you bass . what would you get ? and Why ?

2. There is no such thing as a passive pre-amp.

If your bass uses a pre-amp as part of the tone control system, it is by definition, an "active" bass. The difference is that passive systems can only filter (through resistance) certain frequencies. Active systems by virtue of their powered circuitry can boost as well as cut desired frequencies. This is done by processing the signal, and then slightly amplifying it to avoid the signal loss characteristic of passive systems.

3. What hambone said... all preamps are active. Maybe you were trying to ask "Active or Passive Pickups" ? I don't know

4. Basswou

Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    Belgium
    yes , that's what I meant ... sorry .

I tried to ask if there was some kind sound difference in active or passive pickups .

5. active pickups sound more modern and let you cut or boost specific frequencies on your bass. passive pickups are generally more smooth and vintage-sounding. let your ears be the judge, though.