Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

active or passive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brandonwhite, Jan 7, 2002.

1. brandonwhite

brandonwhite

Jan 2, 2002
    AR
    My first bass was an Ibanez Ergodyne EDC 700. I love it. It is also an active bass. I was just wondering what the difference between an active and a passive is and which one is better for alternative music?

2. Actually the EDC is both.. it has passive pickups with an active EQ/pre-amp.

Passive VS active is a matter of personal preference. Personally i like active, coz it sounds fuller.

but others swear it by passive...

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    ...which would make it an ACTIVE bass, right? Unless it has a switch that bypasses the preamp.

To answer the question, I can't make such broad generalisations. I'd rather take a good passive bass than a bass with a crappy preamp. Likewise I would rather take a decent active than a crappy passive.

All things being equal between an active and a passive bass, I still don't know. I think a good preamp set flat should perfectly preserve the tone of the bass in passive mode, just like the F basses are said to do. If that's not the case and there's too much "colour" going on which I don't like, I'd take the passive. OTOH, if the preamp's colour is a good-sounding one, I don't mind.

Lately I've transformed from a "tweak-master" to more of a "set-it-and-forget-it"-kind of guy, so if the bass has a preamp, I don't think I would touch it.

So I don't know. Whatever.