1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

active or passive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brandonwhite, Jan 7, 2002.

1. brandonwhite

brandonwhite

Jan 2, 2002
    AR
    My first bass was an Ibanez Ergodyne EDC 700. I love it. It is also an active bass. I was just wondering what the difference between an active and a passive is and which one is better for alternative music?

2. Actually the EDC is both.. it has passive pickups with an active EQ/pre-amp.

Passive VS active is a matter of personal preference. Personally i like active, coz it sounds fuller.

but others swear it by passive...

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    ...which would make it an ACTIVE bass, right? Unless it has a switch that bypasses the preamp.

To answer the question, I can't make such broad generalisations. I'd rather take a good passive bass than a bass with a crappy preamp. Likewise I would rather take a decent active than a crappy passive.

All things being equal between an active and a passive bass, I still don't know. I think a good preamp set flat should perfectly preserve the tone of the bass in passive mode, just like the F basses are said to do. If that's not the case and there's too much "colour" going on which I don't like, I'd take the passive. OTOH, if the preamp's colour is a good-sounding one, I don't mind.

Lately I've transformed from a "tweak-master" to more of a "set-it-and-forget-it"-kind of guy, so if the bass has a preamp, I don't think I would touch it.

So I don't know. Whatever.