1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Active or "Zingy" sounding basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Oct 19, 2006.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Besides Music Man and Smith, what are some other real active or "zingy" sounding basses. (4 string preferred).
    I dig the Status sound ala' Mark King, Zon- the way Michael Manring makes them sound.

Others???

2. I've never considered Smith's as particularly active or zingy sounding.. always considered them relatively mellow and organic sounding! I would put MTD and Modulus (at least the ones with the EMG's) squarely in the camp of modern and active sounding.

3. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Anything with a q-tuner pickup in it.

4. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I think Sadowsky basses are. When I had mine, all I needed was to add 1/8 of a turn on the treble knob to get all the zing I ever needed. I would usually play them flat (no EQ) and with flatwound strings, because I thought they were too zingy, and I never cared for the VTC control.

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    MTDs and most basses with EMG pickups.

Q-Tuners shouldn't have the 'active zing' that EMGs have - i.e. a boost in the 3-5kHz region - though they do have even greater high frequency extension and clarity.

Alex

6. I just realized that the two bass brands we are recommending both are 'active' pickup designs, which I guess makes sense if you are looking for a zingy sound with a strong 'electronic/active' component to it.

K

7. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    For passive, nothing out zings a Ric. As for active, they are too numerous to mention.

8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I agree on the MTDs. My new Z5 is very "zingy" and modern sounding. To be honest, the active electronics on my Fender Jazz Deluxe can dial in a zingy sound pretty easily.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Rickenbacker or Status. You can get all the zing you need from these.

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    The "zingiest" bass I've ever tried is a Fodera Victor Wooten Monarch with the EMG P/J pickups. I agree with Lefty that Sadowsky basses have lots of zing, but IMO much less than the Fodera.

11. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Kubiki basses are pretty "zingy" in my opinion, and so are sadowskys with 24 frets and soapbars.

12. I think Mike is talking about a much different thing than just basses with lot's of treble response. I think, from the tone examples he gave, he is looking for what many of us call a 'modern' sound... a kind of active humbucker hi fi sort of vibe.... hence the EMG comments above and also the MTD suggestions, since the electronics and unusual proprietary active Bartoline pickups in the MTD's put the tone of many of those basses in 'EMG' territory IMO.

13. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I agree, but I still think a Ric with a fresh set of stainless steel will still out-zing any other passive bass I've heard.

14. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

I owned a few Sadowsky basses and the last thing I think of them is "zingy" or real active sounding.
    Now, the M24 is a different story though.

Like KJung mentioned, more than just a lot of top end treble response.

G&L L2000 is another on that comes to mind.
    Or a Warwick Thumb Bass.

I've always dug that real active sound for somethings. Not like I'm gonna do anything about it though!!;)
    Maybe a Sterling down the road. But not for a while.

And I think Smiths with soapbars are warm and very active sounding at the same time.
    Fingerstyle thet stay nice and warm, but slap one and it's a whole new thing. You can pretty much always tell a Smith is on the track when it's slapped!

15. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Odd you mentioned the L2000. It's one of the only active basses I know of that does not actively boost the treble or bass but does it passively before the preamp.

16. bhawk1

bhawk1

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Can't forget about the Spector NS series. Back when Dave LaRue was playing them he got some of the 'zingiest,' most modern tones I've heard. Pretty sure he tours with a Bongo now though.