1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Active/Passive 5 string suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tommyr01, Dec 19, 2017.

1. tommyr01

tommyr01 Simma Down Nah ! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Tucson, AZ, USA
    I have been looking around and researching (sub 1K) 5 string that are active and passive, although if I could get ahold of an EBMM reflex or 25th ann. again that would work.

Two that really have my eye at the moment are the GL Tribute L2500 and the Yamaha BB735A....anyone have ideas of others to look at or opinions on the two mentioned ????

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

andruca and tommyr01 like this.
  3. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    If you want a very solid jazz bass type sound, the Sire v7-5 string. It has the active/passive switch with a 3 band EQ with sweepable mids, and, a treble roll off that works in both active and passive. One of the most comprehensive EQ's I ever seen on a bass. Fit and finish is solid with good pickups and decent hardware. They make other 5 string basses too but, I only have experience with the v7-5 string

V7 – Sire Webstore-USA

tommyr01 likes this.
  4. tommyr01

Feb 25, 2004
    Tucson, AZ, USA
    I do love the Sterlings !!... if it had an active/passive capability I’d be talking with the seller !

5. tommyr01

Feb 25, 2004
    Tucson, AZ, USA
    I’m going to have to look into those, been curious about them !

6. Lesfunk

You could add a switch with little trouble

Better yet... a push/pull pot

tommyr01 likes this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I own an Ibanez TMB605, and I love it. It can run passive or two band active. It also has great Cary Nordstrand Design pickups. The first features the B string:. The second clip is Old School Slap:

scuzzy and tommyr01 like this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Passive mode slapping. The TMB605 is priced $599.

tommyr01 likes this.
  9. Lesfunk

I agree with the good dr. Those are impressive

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  10. tommyr01

Feb 25, 2004
    Tucson, AZ, USA
    I forgot about those !!!... thank you Doc!!!... excellent clips !!!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  11. BassintheTRUNK

BassintheTRUNK

Sep 20, 2017
    My recommendation would be a Warwick Corvette $$ 5, I think it has a great versatile tone with the ability to vary between active and passive.

InhumanResource likes this.
  12. AdamK

AdamK

Jan 24, 2015
    Virginia
    Wow another one of these threads at the same time as the other. Again I say Lakland.

13. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Yes, Lakland 55-02. Used of course.

14. FunWithBass

FunWithBass Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    I have really enjoyed my Sire M7 5-string. It is not as heavy as some 5-strings and has a lot of tone options.

Here is the Sire M7 Club thread with all the technical details and more.

tommyr01 likes this.
  15. TheMaynorD

TheMaynorD Gold Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    While I have not personally used either, I have heard almost entirely positive reviews of both Sire basses and the ibanez Talman. I will say that modding the electronics on an ibanez turned out well for me the past 2 times I have done it. So picking up a nice mid range SR5 and throwing nordtsrands and an active/ passive preamp in it would not cost that much more and wouild yield a very solid instrument.

tommyr01 likes this.
  16. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    So many great options. I would take a hard look at a sire m7, but there is an extensive "winners" list.

tommyr01 likes this.
  17. tommyr01

Feb 25, 2004
    Tucson, AZ, USA
    Wow, these are some fantastic suggestions..... it really opens up my choices !!!!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  18. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I agree with the Doctor , I love my Talman 605 . Great sound and playability . Listening to his clips pushed me over to it .

19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Yup and I agree Lakland.

20. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    A used Lakland Skyline, a G&L Tribute 2500 or a Sterling by Musicman... you're not likely to go wrong with any of these. They're all quite good. Personally, I'd go for the Lakland for the string spacing (wider than the others) and the comfortable neck, but those are just my preferences.

I don't know if Peavy's active basses allow a passive mode, but if they do, there are US-made Peavy 5s all over the used market for good prices and they are very well made basses.

tommyr01 likes this.