Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active/Passive and true passive with Sansamp BDDI

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by silky smoove, Dec 29, 2004.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've been using a Sansamp BDDI with my Modulus Flea 4 for a little while now and really enjoying the tone. However, per the Sansamp instruction manual, I get my best tone by setting the active controls flat. Since I'm always running my controls flat, does it even make sense to have the bass remain active? So, my thought was to remove the onboard pre (Bartolini NTBT) and go with a passive tone circuit. Well, then I got to thinking that maybe I should just install an active/passive switch and leave the pre in there and do an A/B comparison that way. Will an active/passive bypass, engaged in passive mode, essentially sound the same as a true passive bass? Will it sound the same as the active set up with the controls set flat? Just for reference this is a Bartolini NTBT from 2000.

What do you think? Would I get better response from the bass using an onboard pre with the EQ set flat or simplifying the setup down to a passive tone circuit? :help:

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Never messed with a DI but to my ears there's a significant difference between active and true-bypass and slight if any between active and pre by-pass. Choice depends on what your needs are. I've pulled all preamps, switches, and pots from my basses and run each pup direct to a seperate jack and run off amp controls.

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Well, I'm not really much of a knob fiddler on stage (I used to be.... that actually stopped when I got the Flea bass). I think for now I'll just keep the bass active but stick in an active/passive bypass. If I find I use it more in passive mode... well, I'll just rip out the pre and keep it passive.