1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Active/Passive bypass question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mikio, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    If I were to put an active preamp into a bass with an Active/Passive switch on it, would the passive tone change too? or would it remain the same?, if it changes... can that be helped? :ninja:

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If the switch is good quality and you do the wiring correctly, then the passive tone should not change noticeably.

3. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    mm, what about the tone knob? would it work? or like the Marcus Miller model, would it "die" for the passive mode?

4. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    mm, what about the tone knob? would it work? or like the Marcus Miller model, would it "die" for the passive mode?

5. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    You generally need an additional passive tone rolloff, which can also function while the active preamp is on. That is what the Sadowsky VTC control is. The Audere preamp can come with this control, and some others probably do as well.

It's a nice control to have, as it's quite different than an active treble control.

6. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    thanks a lot, I researched it already, guess I'll have to get one of those, eventually