1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Active-passive conversion ESP LTD B-206

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LennyPenny, Aug 4, 2012.

1. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

Mar 14, 2011
    Belgium
    Hi all,

I'd like to make my LTD B-206 passive by eliminating the active preamp because I can't stand the constant fear of it dying on me mid-gig. I wasn't that worries about it until just now: before heading to a gig last night, I put a new Duracell 9V in. Afterwards the test strip thingy indicated it was only less than half charged (after only an hour of playing).
    However, I'm afraid a conversion won't be possible:
    -a red cable and a black one coming from the battery into the control cavity
    -one thicker red wire and two black ones going from the electronics cavity into the body. Does this mean the pickups are active as well and that it can't be made passive without a pickup replacement?

I'm not sure about what pickups/preamp are in my bass. I bought it second-hand and doesn't seem to be in production any longer (it has a flamed top, not the current spalted top). If the electronics are still the same, the pickups are ESP SB-6s with an ESP ABQ-3 preamp.

If it is possible to make it passive, could anyone please explain how to go about it in the easiest possible way, or direct me to a detailed guide?

Thanks!

2. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

Mar 14, 2011
    Belgium
    Bump

3. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

Mar 14, 2011
    Belgium
    Right, so I decided to take my bass to a local music store. Does anyone have any experience with a passive LTD B-206? I'm considering having the preamp removed, but it's not a very high quality instrument so I'm a bit worried about ruining the low B (which is excellent right now). The more expensive option is having a new preamp installed with an active/passive switch.

4. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Aren't the pickups in those active as well?

5. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

Mar 14, 2011
    Belgium
    I've always thought they we're passive, not sure. Can't find confirmation on the interwebz. Is there a way of telling whether they're active or passive?

EDIT: found this in another thread.
    "Are you sure they are active? Take a look at your wiring. Is there a red wire from each pickup going to the positive terminal of the battery?"
    Since this is not the case, I think it's safe to assume the pickups in my B-206 are passive.