Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

active.. passive.. eqs and preamps..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by patrickj, Apr 23, 2002.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    My Ibanez BTB has passive pickups, with an active EQ (preamp also?). My John Myung 6 has active pickups, active EQ/preamp.

I have a passive 5 string pup for a bass I'm building (found one after posting my "cheap 5 pup" thread), and I'm wondering if it would be possible to add an EQ to it. My BTB shows me that it is possible to combine passive w/ an EQ, but are there any considerations/requirements?

Is there actually a difference between a passive and active pickup? Or does the difference lie after the pickup, where you start adding things like the volume/tone pots, etc?

2. Well, when you hook an active circuit up to your pickups, you will only get boost, no cutting at all. So yes, you can do that.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Please explain a little further what you mean, because I think you're wrong.

4. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    it works in the other categories ;)

5. You can hook up an active preamp to passive pickups, and it will be a boost/cut system, as long as it is not a boost only preamp (I have seen these before).

Basslines (Seymour Duncan) makes preamps for active and passive preamps. They are different units. I believe all Bartolini pickups are passive, and I believe that their preamps are all designed for this. I know some EMGs are active pickups, so I imagine there are specific preamps for these, like with Basslines.

Hope this helps.
    Geoff

6. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks!

I purchased a SD Basslines pickup, so I'll look for a prea-amp system for it..

Thanks!