Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

active/passive inputs on amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jankjo, Sep 22, 2002.

1. jankjo

jankjo

May 22, 2002
    Some amps have two inputs, one for active and one for passive basses. Some amps only have one input for both basses. Does anybody know how the amps with only one input work? I am wondering because I have a Carvin PB100 combo amp with only one input jack. It seems to me that my passive bass is alot hotter than either active bass have tried. :confused:

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I've often wondered about this too. I can see the padding. An active bass is often 10-15 dB hotter than a comparable passive one. But doesn't a gain control and/or an input pad switch take care of that? Also, why do active inputs have a lower impedence than a passive input? I know active basses have low impedence, but why not just have an impedence high enough for both active and passive? I have a Kern IP-777 which has a single input jack with 10MOhm impedence and a gain control. It works great for any type of pickup system, including piezo.

Also, does the ultra-hi impedence help with long cable runs?