Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active/Passive question I couldn't find an answer for via searching...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wombolombo, Jan 17, 2006.

1. wombolombo

wombolombo

Nov 29, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    I searched all over the place and couldn't find this answer...

In talking about Jazz basses, just to keep it simple...

I spent all day yesterday at guitar shops playing basses - and I think I've come to a conclusion about something...

If you have a passive (V/V/T) jazz bass, and you drop an active preamp into it (with a blend knob)...having the blend knob at the center detent(active) is not the same as having both V's turned all the way up (passive). There's something about having both pickups turned all the way up that gives the bass a different tone from active set at the center detent.

Am I correct that there's an electronic difference between the two?

Thanks for the help...

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

There's many varities of apples and many varieties of oranges. In the bass world that would extend to extremes of some apples seeming more like oranges than other apples. But IN GENERAL in my experience there is an inherently raw natural quality to passive tone and a filtered, hi-fi, synthetic quality to active tone. They both have their applications and live in the mix frequently the difference is lost anyway. It just depends on what you need.

here's some related info under "Degradation of Signal and Components":

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128756