1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Active Passive question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by towsonbassist, Aug 22, 2007.

1. towsonbassist

towsonbassist

Oct 15, 2006
    If I were to put in an Active/Passive toggle for a bass, would I buy the active pickups? Also, where can I find a diagram for the installation of one?

Thanks

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Active pickups can't be run passive to the best of my knowledge. My Warwick uses passive pickups and an active preamp, pull up on the volume knob and the preamp is bypassed allowing for passive operation. I may be corrected here but this is how it works AFAIK.

3. towsonbassist

towsonbassist

Oct 15, 2006
    I donno how my G&L is wired, but I have a Passive/Active/12dB+ Treble Boost 3-way Toggle.

4. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I believe he is 100% correct. What kind of bass I you planning on working on?

5. towsonbassist

towsonbassist

Oct 15, 2006
    my custom bass. Its gonna be an EMG PJ setup with a B64 EQ and an 18V power supply (instead of the standard 9V). But Ive had My G&L batteries die on my and its so nice to just flip A switch, turn up, and keep playing, So I thought "I'm making a custom bass, so It's going to be made to make my life easy!"

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If you are using EMG pickups and your battery dies than you are SOL. You can't have a "fail safe" switch on a bass with active pickups. That works on a bass with passive pickups and an active preamp (like your G&L), but not the bass you are looking to build.

7. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Have you already bought those pickups? Or are you still just in the planning phase?

8. towsonbassist

towsonbassist

Oct 15, 2006
    purely planning right now. So if I bought say Villex pickups (www.villex.com), and then an active preamp, I could use the switch?

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Correct, you would have a passive pickup set with an active preamp. If you wanted to get -really- fancy you could have a passive tone control added (Like on a precision or jazz bass) so that you still have some tone control options while the bass is in passive mode.

10. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'd get one with a bypass built into the design rather than an always on preamp and try to work out a good way to bypass it.

11. towsonbassist

towsonbassist

Oct 15, 2006
    So a SJB-3 quarter-pound for jazz bass and a Dimarzio DP127 with an Aguilar OBP-3TK active preamp would work?