1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Active -> Passive switch. Huh?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gadolinium, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Gadolinium

Gadolinium

Feb 3, 2007
    Wiltshire UK
    Ok, heres the deal,

My bass head (Peavey NitroBass) has a switch that changes from Passive to Active.

Why is it that when the switch is set to passive, the volume is louder than when its set to active, although my passive bass is louder than my active bass anyway?

Will it cause any damage to the speakers/head having the switch set to passive all the time?

2. no all it is is a pad.

its usually between -3db to -12db

3. dogbass

dogbass Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    The active "switch" is just a pad to reduce the input signal. The purpose is to remove some of the "noise" that may be overamplified from an active circuit. I have a -10dB pad switch on my GK1001RB and I always leave it off. I just turn down the volume control on my active basses. As long as your input signal isn't clipping and your speakers don't sound like they're breaking up...shouldn't be any harm in running that in the passive mode all the time.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021