Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

active/passive switch in an active bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JJd2sc, Oct 4, 2005.

1. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    A friend asked me this, and it made me curious. Is it possible to take an active bass that stops playing when it goes dead and add an active passive switch to allow it to continue playing when out of batteries?

2. It could be done, or you could just buy a G&L!! :bassist:

3. Yep :)

I think that's how it is with all basses that run Active/Passive. In the passive mode, the batteries aren't required.

I really, really wish I had had that feature on my Ken Lawrence before I had the Benavente pickups/pre put in it. It died half-way through a show and there was nothing I could do :bawl:

Oops - read your question wrong...I don't know if you can just add a switch. I think the pickups have to be capable of running both passive and active specifically for it to work. Not sure though.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Some creative wiring should work I would think. Many active systems have this functionality built in. I found the switch came in handy long ago when I used to gig a lot with a Peavey Dyna-Bass. Batteries die on gig night? No problem!

This will only work if you have passive pickups and an active EQ (which is most "active" basses). I don't think it's possible with active pickups.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes, you can do it depending on the pickups. You need passive pickups, not like EMG's which require a power source to work, period.

Regular passive pickups a la Dimarzio or Fender can be used active/passive, once again depending on the preamp.

I always wanted to do this with an EB Stingray.

6. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    Couldn't you just use one active and one passive pickup and use a pickup switcher?

7. Sounbwoy

Sounbwoy Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Clayton, NC
    Hohner Bbass V comes with a switch :)
    Plays either way.