Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active/Passive Switch w/obp3?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Christian Waiau, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    hey i was wondering if anyone has or knows about installing an Active/Passive Switch with their obp3? i seen the option at bestbassgear.com

i have a modulus with a single lane poor MM pup and an obp3 pre. im pretty sure the pup is passive.. if not then i guess this isnt possible to begin with?

also.. when in passive mode will i only be able to control the volume? or is there a way to control the tone still?

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Even if your pup was active, you could still install a passive switch. Your preamp wouldn't draw any power, but of course, the pickup would. Thus, an active/passive switch wouldn't get you out of trouble if your battery died, but it would provide a different sound.

You can wire a passive tone control to be in the circuit any way you want it... in both active and passive, active mode only, or passive mode only.

3. Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    ah! ok.. i looked over the obp3 wiring for a bypass.. would i need to add another knob for passive tone control? or can i wire the existing set up somehow? i have a vol/push-pull mid/bass-treb stacked so... 3 knob config... and im drilling a new hole for the bypass switch.. if possible i dont want another hole but if i need.. then i dont mind.

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    You can get another stacked knob that would cover both the volume and passive tone control. You'd need to decide what pot values you are wanting for each of those two controls, and then find a concentric pot that offers it. It's definitely doable, though.

5. Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005

whoa i lost track of this tread.. sorry for the late reply..

i ended up going with a push-pull for the vol(pass/active) and a push-pull for the mid(400-800) and a stacked with the bass and treb.

if i added another knob for passive tone control would i tire it like a pbass? a wire from the prong on the vol pot to that the pickup goes to the middle prong on the tone pot?