Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

active passive switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by random bassist, Jun 28, 2005.

1. random bassist

random bassist

Jan 21, 2005
    Fl
    Hey all. Im sure its in the forum somewhere, but it's late and i cant really focus right now. I was wondering if anyone knew where i can find an active/passive switch to install in my bass I love it's sound, but im tired of getting somewhere and right as i start to play, pow the battery dies. so i figured i would try and install a switch just in case. mostly because it'd probably be cheaper than buying a second bass. Hopefully someone out there can help.
    thanx
    andrew

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, you can buy the pot at places like stewmac.com, guitarelectronics.com,wdmusic.com. That's if you want a push/pull on volume pot, or a separate active passive switch.

But it's not a drop-in installation, the complexity of putting it in will depend on your bass and existing preamp. Could you expand on what bass you want to put this in, and what preamp it has.

3. random bassist

random bassist

Jan 21, 2005
    Fl
    Thanx for the info, and yes i was looking for a push pull. I know itll be a pain, but itll be worth it. I play a washburn RB2502 that has a music man style 5string humbucker on the bridge, and a 5string humbucking jazz style pickup on the neck position.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I don't understand how having a switch will head off unforeseen battery drain incidents. A battery power meter might help though. But that could be a complicated installation.

You know, IMHO you're better off with the unplug to turn off the preamp route. A few folks narrated about forgetting to turn the active/passive switch off. Or the switch being accidentally flipped on. Either way, both will result in the same dead battery problems.

Just my 2 cents.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I think he's more looking at it from a point of view of still being able to play if battery dies
    true, active/passive switches will not usually turn the preamp on/off and will instead just not route the signal through the preamp when in bypass mode.
    When the cord is plugged in, the preamp is running and draining current regardless of active/passive switch position.

I have to say, I've had a battery problem maybe once in 20 years of gigging. It's fairly easy to tell when you're battery is dying, and with a good battery you still have a fair bit of warning.
    If you have this happening to you *ALL THE TIME* then IMO you either have a wiring issue or you're leaving your cord plugged in the bass.

6. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Or using a rechargable battery that should have been recycled quite some time ago.

R

7. random bassist

random bassist

Jan 21, 2005
    Fl
    yup it does die frequently, and no i dont leave it the cord in it...goes back in the case after being played. But I figured it might be a problem with the wiresso i took it apart, and yes, there was a bad connection with the peramp. the wire was exposed and touching another. fixed that so hopefully the problem is fixed. thanx for the advice guys. :)

8. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    Dear friends, i had just completed the exercise for my own 6ser, i bought the fender 250k push pull for the A/P switch, i think it depends on the kind of preamp you use.. i am using a Bart and from its web it recommand the A/P switch value to be 250K, for the diagram you may check out Bart site and EMG and Bassline as well, pretty clear illustration, if not, i had them downloaded so you may PM me for the jpg.
    soon i will start fixing a church well used Ibanez, and the kids always forget to unplug the cord so battery dead very quick, i will try to install a master switch.. and i am prepared to face all the clicking and noise problem, hope i can find my way out and i can give a report on that.