active passive used basses in the $700 to $900 range

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassistGod, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Other than a lakland 55-02, what are some good choices for used active/pasive basses in this price range? Must have the option of passive mode.
  2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Carvin (newer ones), or you could just order the preamp from them.

Anything with a Basslines preamp (they can be wired for bypass instead of slap contour)

There might be a thread on this, but I wouldn't think it would be difficult to add a bypass switch to any bass out there.

3. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

G&L Tribute Series Basses (L-2000, L-2500, SB-2). All three models include a Passive/Active/Treble boost switch.

Prices for the Tribute line are approx. $570 for an L-2000 Premium (4-string) and $600 for an L-2500 Premium (5-string). Not sure on the price for an Tribute SB-2.

The above prices are from Musician's Friend. This is the going price in my local music shop too.

Both the Skyline and Tribute Lines are excellent Basses. You will not go wrong either way.

Good luck!

- Tom
  4. I'm pretty sure you could get an American G&L at that price.
  5. japhy4529

American G&L's usually start around $1000 and go up from there. However, the Tribute line sound great and use the exact same MFD pickups and electronics as the US models. Of course the Tribute line is made overseas and then shipped to Fulerton, CA for inspection/setup, while the US models are completely hand-made in the states.

I own a US model L-2000 and I am quite pleased with it. With that said, I tried a Tribute L-2000 premium Bass and I could find no discernable difference in sound between the two. Same wood, same pickup, same electronics. The bridge and tuners are "licensed designs", but they worked just as well IMHO.

Good luck with your Bass shopping. Don't forget to post some pics!

- Tom

6. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I got mine for about $650-- a '91 model G&L L2000 signed by Uncle Leo.

Hey Tom, I had a class with Japhy when I was in college. He teaches as UC Davis. Great man-- very wise and humble. :cool:
  7. I'm pretty sure used American G&L L-2000's and ASATs fall within the 600-900 range typically. At least that's the range I always see them in on the web.

Tributes are a great deal for a new bass though.
  8. Thanks for the replies.
    The Lakland is similar enough to the G&L so scratch that option.

I was thiking something more modern sounding like a Peavey Cirrus, but with the passive/active option.
  9. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "modern sound" (never played a Cirrus), but you can dial out a ton of sounds on a G&L (haven't played a Lakland either, but I hear tons of good things about them). They're one of the most versatile basses out there, so you're bound to get that "modern sound" with enough fiddling.
  10. Alright, alright, I just don't like their headstock design.....Are you happy now that you made me reveal how superficial I am? :)
  11. I knew it had something to do with the look. :) There's gotta be something out there with a headstock you like though.
  12. I was originally looking for a replacement 5 for my Corvette Proline. But lately, its been growing on me. I'm kinda diign' its radically diferent tone as opposed to the lakland. Gives me two very different tonal options. :cool:
  13. And of course the Warwick has the passive/active option....And stock seymour duncan pickups! Yummy.
  14. japhy4529

sorry, i read NEW, instead of used! yes, you absolutely can find a used US Model G&L in the $700 to $900 price range. Often times, you can pick one up for less.

Good luck in your search.

- Tom
  15. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Why used gear ????

You can get a new carvin for $700 - $900 !!!!

Carvin offers many options, and pasive mode is just one among tons of options.

You'll get the happiness for ordering your own custom bass :D

Well, carvin should hired me for marketing position :p

Good luck