1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

active/passive with coil-tap humbucker bass suggestion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lanzealot, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Anybody who knows about some bass under a grand that are:

coil tappable humbucker on the bridge
    active electronics with bypass

thanks guys!

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    You can get a LOT of different basses that can have coil taps added to them.

You could do an OLP with a new MM style humbucker and get a tap for it. You could do an MTD Her/Kingston and tap it ;) , or you could get any number of basses that come equipped with EMG 35/40/45s (4,5,6 strings) and replace the HZs that they usually have with EMG TWs that are already wired to be coil-tapped dual/single coils in the same pickup.

There are a lot of options. Just make sure that the bridge pickup is NOT a single coil jazz pickup and you can either replace it with a MM style or a Bart/EMG housing humbucker.

How much do you want to spend? You can get an OLP and get it professionally modded to your liking (by any local luthier) for less than $500 (altogether including bass, pickups, pots). Or you could get a used EB MM Sterling that already has coil switching.

-Eric.

3. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Carvin

4. hmm.... good suggestion eric! less than $500. wow... thanks, blues cat... i'm actually considering Cavin.

Well my budget is actually uo to $700...

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    G&L.

6. G&L? I thought, they're over a grand?!

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Not if you buy used.

8. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Peavey T-40 :p