Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

active/passive with coil-tap humbucker bass suggestion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lanzealot, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Anybody who knows about some bass under a grand that are:

coil tappable humbucker on the bridge
    active electronics with bypass

thanks guys!

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    You can get a LOT of different basses that can have coil taps added to them.

You could do an OLP with a new MM style humbucker and get a tap for it. You could do an MTD Her/Kingston and tap it ;) , or you could get any number of basses that come equipped with EMG 35/40/45s (4,5,6 strings) and replace the HZs that they usually have with EMG TWs that are already wired to be coil-tapped dual/single coils in the same pickup.

There are a lot of options. Just make sure that the bridge pickup is NOT a single coil jazz pickup and you can either replace it with a MM style or a Bart/EMG housing humbucker.

How much do you want to spend? You can get an OLP and get it professionally modded to your liking (by any local luthier) for less than $500 (altogether including bass, pickups, pots). Or you could get a used EB MM Sterling that already has coil switching.

-Eric.

3. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Carvin

4. hmm.... good suggestion eric! less than $500. wow... thanks, blues cat... i'm actually considering Cavin.

Well my budget is actually uo to $700...

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    G&L.

6. G&L? I thought, they're over a grand?!

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Not if you buy used.

8. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Peavey T-40 :p