Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Microbass, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Hey fellas, I have a gig tonight, so no time for a search; I need some help.

I play 2 passive basses, into a trace 4x10 combo. The amp has a passive/active switch. Is it ok for me to use the active setting with my passive basses?

Maybe it's just me, but I have in the [ast felt that it sounds better in the active mode. PLz help! cheers! :)
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Short answer is: No, you can use what sounds better to you.

Those inputs have different impedances, lower for active basses, higher for passive basses. In any case the only drawback for using the "wrong" input may be loss of highs, you can't damage anything.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    like jmx said, the main difference will be a loss of highs. a lot of players prefer this as it tames harsh basses and can give you a warmer sound. most active basses really do ok in the passive input as well. only a few active basses have inputs that are so hot that the passive input is mandatory. in any event, adjusting the gain knob will allow you to use a passiev bass in the active input and vise versa.
  4. mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    I run my active (emg)bass through the passive input on my amp. I like the brighter sound it gives. Have done this on different amps and never had a problem.
  5. It does not hurt a thing to run your passive bass through either input.
    The passive input just has a bit more gain than the active input.