Active Pickup Battery

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ItsMorphingTim3, Mar 2, 2010.

1. ItsMorphingTim3

ItsMorphingTim3

Mar 2, 2010
    Hey,
    If the battery dies in my Ibanez GSR200 do i need to replace it immediately or will it still produce sound through my amp?? x

2. Youll need to replace it. The Phat II bass boost won't pass a signal through without a battery.

3. If the battery dies, that means no power goes to the preamp. No power to the preamp means no signal.

4. I think you would notice a low battery strait away, your sound will start going funky asif theirs a bad connection somewere.

At least thats my experiance.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Normally you'll have symptons of battery getting low a bit before it dies. Weak and muddier sound along with distortion in my experience. Or like DOM said, kinda funky acting signal like bad connection. Intermitent sustain loss as one example.

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    But there's no need to stress over it. I've been playing active basses since 1977, and I have never had a battery go dead on a gig.

Generally if you change them when you change your strings, or if you don't change your strings, just check them every month or so, you wont have an issue.

You will hear distortion when the battery is very low.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, think of it just like a battery in a pedal. it'll work for months and months (as long as you don't leave a cable plugged into it), and it will tell you when it's getting tired by starting to sound weak and fuzzy.

8. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego
    I change the batteries in my two active basses (both are 18V) every 6 months. I have never had one die on me during a gig or band practice.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021