1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Active pickup in passive mode

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by boyet, Aug 9, 2012.

1. boyet

boyet

May 15, 2007
    Miami
    Will it work? I'm planning to upgrade my bass's preamp but the preamp has a passive mode. I am not sure if the pickups will work in the passive mode. Any tips? the bass is a Yamaha TRB.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You sure the pickups are active? Are they EMG?

3. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    As far as I know they're passive pickups with a preamp, like most if not all of Yamaha's stuff.

4. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Most active basses use passive pickups with an active preamp and so they will work fine with a preamp that includes a passive bypass switch. I don't know what TRB model you have. Some appear to have passive pickups, some have passive pickups plus piezo, and the TRBJP model has pickups that are described by a nonsense phrase so I don't know what they might be. I have no clue what might be in older models. So my tip is to buy the preamp you want and most likely the passive mode will work. If it does not then you still have the preamp you want and that is the main thing, is it not?

Ken