Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active pickup question?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bongo499, May 30, 2005.

1. bongo499

bongo499

Jan 10, 2005
    syosset
    i own a warwick corvette but i want some active sound to it. If i get set of actvie j/j bartolomi or emg's would i need to buy the active preamp too? What can i buy to get an active sound. I have also been thinking about the hartke bass attack pedal? anyone try this? :bawl:

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    If you get EMGS, you can use the supplied wiring harness to run the pickups out of the bass just via a simple set of vol/vol/tone pots. Or you can also add a preamp (most brands will work). Most Barts are passive, and can have lowish output, so you would likely need a preamp just to get the output signal up to a decent level.
    What is active sound?

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no, although as Dharmabass said almost all barts are passive
    what is the sound you are after?
    yes, lots of people. If you use the search function in here and the effects forum you'll find *LOTS* of discussion

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

active pickups have internal preamps so an onbaord pre is not required - but it would give additional onboard control over the passive harness.

The only current Bart 4 string active J set is the 9E - which has the pre in the bridge pup while the neck pup is actually passive. It also has a peculiar wiring scheme and, to my ears, is signature Bart and no more different than their passives from each other. Barts are typically low output and the 9E set is no exception in my recall. Output is not an issue unless your amp is marginal.

The EMG's are both active and the EMG pre systems include a blend that is specifically designed for EMG pups. Their pre controls can be used with any pups (including EMGs). I don't know if Warwicks ever came with Barts but they have EMG's. I'm guessing Warwick has their reasons for their choices.

You obviously want something different. Personally, I would make any alterations reversable cause permanent alterations will decrease the value of the bass and you may not like the results of the "upgrade."