1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

active pickup wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thatbassguy, Sep 2, 2008.

1. thatbassguy

thatbassguy Guest

Sep 2, 2008
    i am going to build a bass soon and i want to use active pickups. i know how to wire passive pickups but i don't know how to wire actives. if i have 2 active pickups do i need a pickup selector? or could i just do a regular wiring scheme with a volume and tone for each pick up?

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    If the pickups are active not using active preamp then the only difference is the input jack has 3 contacts instead of 2 the third one turns on the Battery when the jack is inserted. Usually you can sometimes get wiring diagrams from the pickup manufacturer's web site to help with problems.

3. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    thatbassguy,

You don't need a selector switch for the two active pickups. You can just wire them with two volumes and two tones.

Most, if not all, pickup manufacturers will include or provide various wiring diagrams for their pickups as well.