Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

active pickups and effect pedals

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by r05c03, Aug 11, 2005.

1. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    I have heard mention of effects pedals and basses active pickups sometimes not working out in tandem or kind overloading the system. Is this true?

2. Well I certainly don't like how active pickups sound with fuzz or overdrive.

With chorusing type effects they sound real nice.

Mon

3. i have a chorus pedal that clips my amp more often if i run it direct (guitar>pedal>amp) , but when i run it through the effects loop (guitar>preamp>pedal>poweramp) the clipping problem goes away and it sounds sooooo much better, some pedals such as overdrive are better ran direct as it distorts your signal which is how they work, others are better through the effects loop like chorus or flanger, etc etc.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    there can be issues with fuzz pedals for sure, if you do a search in the effects forum you'll find the reasons why

5. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    My fuzz sounds really good with active pickups actually... It's a guitar fuzz designed for passive pickups, yet it has a huge low end with the tone turned down and the fuzz is really thick and heavy... And yet with the tone up and the colour/resolution/gate/gain all on low it just adds a little bit of grit. Perfect. It's a Zoom Uf-01
    Only thing is it eats batteries, but I use my bros power supply for it when he's not looking :ninja:

6. Some of my pedals respond differently to my active preamp on one of my basses. My wah doesn't sound any different, but my BassBalls sounds very different than with my passive basses.

7. My stingray definately overloads some pedals - especially wahs. Every wah I've tried distorts - Boss multi-effects, Ibanez WH10, new cry baby, morleys you name it, they all crap out, especially in the mid-sweep position.

My old passive warwick had the opposite problem, I had to mod my EBS BassIQ so I could get enough threshold control... then had to mod it back to work with both the warwick the the stingray!!!