Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active pickups getting lost in upper range?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ebladeboi123, Aug 19, 2005.

1. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Well whenever i play on the G-string, alot of octaves/funk'n/whatever I feel like doing up there, the sound seems to get lost. I have a MIM jazz bass with...
    Bartolini Active Pre-amp
    Bartolini Jazz Pups (slightly brighter ones)

On my Pre- i have plenty of Mids and Highs dialed in. On my amp, i also have plenty of highs dialed in, as well as high mids and low mids. But my low end stuff sounds amazing. What could be the problem? I just replaced the battery, so its not that.
    (Just noticed the problem today at practice)

Thanks in advance-
    Dan

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Unless you have Bart 9E's, you don't have active pickups.

I'm surmising you have Bart 9K's which are supposed to be brighter wound. I've never tried the 9K's, but with the 9J's there's a definite natural high end rolloff with then.

3. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I just assumed since if it used a battery it was an active system. Yes i have the 9k's thanks for clarifying. There just seems to be a roll-off anytime i go up onto the G-string. Very frustrating.

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's an active bass, but not active pickups.
    you can have:
    passive pickups, passive electronics (vol/tone)
    active pickups, passive electronics (vol/tone)
    passive pickups, active electronics (bass/treb/mid etc)
    active pickups, active electronics (bass/treb/mid etc)

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I had the 9K's and from what I recall they seemed like the typical Bart J's with frequencies shifted upward, dropping some bass and definetly adding more top. The also seemed fairly thin on top half. Not a great combo for cutting from the sound of it but my review's in FAQ under Dimento's J pup - and that indicate something different since it's been a while and lots of pups since.

But more is not better. I've found better tone generally comes from cutting than cranking tone controls, then upping volume - and cut is often better as a result. It could be the combination of instruments, what the instruments are playing, acoustics, cabs, eq, lots of things. You just have to dink around one at a time.

6. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    To answer some of your questions, if they were indeed questions...
    Bass: MIM Jazz
    Cab: Eden 410 (XLT)
    Head: GK 800RBii (a tad more high mids than low mids, and a tad more highs than lows)
    I've been tinkering for quite some time, i usually can eq like a bitch. But i just can't get these pickups to get any cut on the g string.

BTW: What is FWIW? And thanks for that info david.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Try changing to different strings. Not guaranteed to be a fix, but you'd be surprised how it can change things *sometimes*. It does, however, suck that it costs so much to be, say, 5 or 6 different bass sets if you want to try them out. Guitarists have it easier in that regard.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW (For What It's Worth - frequently, not much : -)

Not questions just broad statements. Looks like the bases are covered though. Some pups don't cut in some basses with some gear in some situations. If it's consistent, looks like a pup change is an option. Cheapest swap next to strings. You might do a search for the strings your using and see what other players say about them. Also a search for any issues with that bass and given strings having issues. Wierd stuff happens sometimes and I've heard of such things being a defect or damage to an individual string. Age of course is a factor with some strings. Make sure the keys snugged up and the nut and bridge don't have anything funky going on. You might also email Hambone (frequents the luthier forum - being a luthier). I know he's jacked some with neck inserts and may have input on Tuner issues or whatever.

Hassle but you've got a good resource in this site to trouble shoot without going through the process of replacing stuff that can be a lot more tedious and expensive.

I didn't remember being particularly fond of the 9K's from memory but I just read my own review and it indicates otherwise. It was an early set of pups so who knows. I know I didn't use them for regular players and so didn't spend a lot of time with them. Only see one comment with a cut issue with one tune. Not an issue that was rampant and I've had such issues with some pups.

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Also, the stock Bart preamp does have a slight high end rolloff as well. Not so noticable in bright sounding basses.

10. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I just got a new pair of strings not that long ago (3 weeks). Elixirs. The other thing is- tonight i had a show, and for the 1st song i had my J bass out and ready to perform. I got so mad at it, i changed to my MM sub 5. I typically can't play a 5er. But i played one for 2 hours, because i didn't want to use my other bass. The upper range in the MM was fine, and clear.
    So it looks like i'll be trying out the Ultra Jazzes i acquired awhile ago, and never got around to trying.
    I will also try a pair of D'andrio Flats, which again i have sitting around from awhile ago, but were never installed in a bass since my fretless imploded.

11. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I would change one at a time even though it's more practical to change the pups and strings together. If I was going to put the flats on regardless, I'd change the strings first and see if that makes any difference. If not, then swap in the ultras. Altering two factors at once doesn't let you know what the independent effect of one change is. Also, there's an outside chance you may be able to salvage the Barts with the string change.

12. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Definatly- i was planning on doing that. I was planning on try'n the strings 1st. Then moving onto the Ultra Jazz's. And of course i'd start with the Eliixirs on the Ultra Jazz's. Then move to the flats if necesary.