Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active Pickups Step Down with DI?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jow83, Jun 14, 2005.

1. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    This might seem like a stupid question but is it possibe to step down the level of an active bass before the signal get to the amp? by means of a pre amp DI with a selectable out put level or a variable input pad or something? I am looking at buying an amp that does not handle active basses well, my main bass is active but its also very hot, and a lot of things (like wireless's) cannot handle it really well, i thought if there was some way of steping down the signal then everthing would be sweet - I'd get the same tone, wouldn't over drive the imput, and the new amp would sound great.

2. DI's tend to have a switch to accomplish just that. I know my Sansamp DI allows you to switch from line to instrument level, effectively cutting the signal by 20 db. That's more than enough of a cut, I presume.

BTW, in bypass mode it sounds (almost?) transparent. However you can still cut the signal with it bypassed, if I remember correctly.