1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Active pickups with active preamp? How would I wire it?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Mar 5, 2013.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have a Peavey Millennium Plus J/J which has active J pups and an active preamp. I'm not crazy about the preamp and want to replace it with something else.

I'm thinking about using this preamp:
    $(KGrHqR,!iQFCT7!eUjGBQrc7C5f8Q~~60_57.

How would I wire these active pickups to it? Would I connect active pup wires from the pickups to the battery clips as well? I also need it to be 18v - how would I do that?

Thanks!

2. The wiring is the same as with passive pickups. You just also have a supply lead from each pickup that needs to go the positive terminal of the battery.

3. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    The red battery wire, right? This preamp has an active/passive switch - how would that work with active pickups?

4. Yes.

Like I said, the wiring is not any different, except that the pickups need a connection to the battery. Active/passive switching is really just preamp bypass switching.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The pots would need to be changed for active pickups, no? You don't want to use 500/250k with active pickups.

6. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Yeah, well I didn't notice that these are not recommended for active pickups. Looks like I'm stuck with Audere (which is great) which costs $80 more (which is not).

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    There's also EMG and Aguilar preamps that work fine with Actives. Hard to beat Audere, though. EMG would definitely be cheaper though.

8. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Thanks! EMG would be cheaper, but not by much, and I don't see that they come with volume or blend controls. I don't know how to wire it up either, so I think I have to go with Audere.

9. He said the bass already had active pickups, so nothing is changing.