Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

active pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Zack, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Zack

Zack

Jan 25, 2001
    I am shopping around for a new bass, and am wondering the advantages/disadvantages to buying one with active pickups. I have a SWR 750 Goliath amp...is there a bass that complements this amp? I'm not too experienced with basses, so any help would be appreciated.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Me? I wouldn't base my decision on active vs. passive pups. I have basses with both because either CAN sound very good (and either can sound not so good).

Actives generally give you higher output and if the battery/batteries go dead during a performance, all the active basses I know of can simply be switched over to passive with the pull of a knob of the flip of a switch.

Actives generally have a more "modern," "full," sound, IMO. But, then that is only as good as the amp/DI you have it connected to.

I would definitely give both a try. I think it really depends on the bass/the skill of the person who designed or built the bass.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sounds right to me.