1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Active pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by terms bassist, May 9, 2001.

1. I own an Ibanez Soundgear 5 string with active pickups. does anyone know how often I have to change the battery, I don't want it running out in the middle of a show or something. and do they show any signs of running low, or does the battery just die all of a sudden?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The most common and noticeable symptom is that your sound will get increasingly distorted as the battery weakens. You don't just suddenly go silent.

I don't know if your bass is like one of mine - it has a volume control that you can pull up on to switch into passive mode. So, if you're in the middle of a song and you think your battery is dying, you can switch to passive and not disappear.

The moral of the story is always keep a high quality battery in your bass and keep one in your accessory bag that isn't anywhere near the expiration date on the package.