Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

active pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by plar, Jun 23, 2005.

1. plar

plar

Jun 14, 2005
    What are these exactly? I am almost positive I have a knob for this. As far as I can tell, it makes it sound louder and resonate more. Well, what exactly is it? Thanks.

2. thread moving in 3....2....1...

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

active pickups are pickups with a built in preamp that functionally have no output without a battery. If there's no battery in the control bay and your getting output, whatever you have is not active. Since they require a battery active pickups usually have 3 leads - 2 to complete the circuit and one that ties in with the battery clip to supply power to the internal preamp. Active pickups are active independent of any external controls.

Most basses have passive pickups with an onboard (in the control bay preamp) preamp with associated controls that cut and boost the signal. If you have an active/passive switch than you have to have an onboard preamp and passive pickups to make any use of it. Passive pickups do not require a battery but you cannot have boost with passive pickups without an onboard preamp or boost control.

You can also have both an onboard preamp AND active pickups.

You might want to have a look at FAQ at the beginning of this forum.