Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active Pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigcardinal, Dec 14, 2005.

1. To buy or not to buy, that is the question. I am in the market for a new bass and I have heard some people say that actives not only allow for more dynamic range to be heard, but also help to "cut through the mix"...to be heard more clearly when playing with the band. Let me know what you think.

2. ...sorry, I am new to this site and just realized that there is a "Pickups" section that I should have put this thread in....1000 apologies.

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Welcome aboard eh?? ( couldn't resist ). I have owned and loved both passive and active basses. At the end of the day I find that for the style of music I play ( classic rock and metal) I can easily cut through the mix with my passive Fender Jazz bass. I would suggest trying as many as you can, focusing first on the playability and sound of the bass as opposed to whether it is passive or active. Just my 2 cents..