Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active preamp broken?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by a e i o u, Mar 11, 2004.

1. My peavey fury 4 is active, has weird stock soapbar pups, and a 3 band eq. It has been crapping out alot lately. I had to get a new volume pot. After I got my bass back everything sounded surprisingly good. But then the next day I noticed a dramatic drop in volume and when I pulled the string hard, it would give a violent cutting sound. Also, the eq did not work at all. I now have to turn up my amp to 10 on everything including each band of eq for band practice. I thought I needed a new battery for it so i put one in. I tested the old battery and it was dead. The new battery I put in was full of life. After putting the battery in, I still have little volume coming from my amp, and my eq is still not doing anything at all, but, I no longer have that violent cutting sound when I pull the string hard. I took the battery out of the bass just for the heck of it. When I did this, nothing was changed. My volume didnt drop, my eq didnt work. I don't know what to do. :bag:

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Er...could it be possible that a few wires got switched when replacing the volume pot and it's now running passive? That's the only idea I can come up with...Very strange.

3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Like Lockout said the pot might be miswired. Also just check that all the solder joints look good. Maybe something was broken when the pot was replaced.

4. Ok but....

How come when I plug in my friends passive squire bass in, the volume is pretty loud, but when I take the battery out of my bass (when everything used to work) it was super quiet?

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Sounds like a poor connection. I'd say miswired too, esp the input jack will do that, but if it worked fine at first, then it was probably wired correctly. Also a poor ground may do that. I'd say the battery clip wires screwed up but you should have decent volume passive. So, I'd say go to you're passive wiring and they're you're problem will be, since that should narrow it to like jack, volume, tone. And throw another battery in for kicks n grins - I've heard of batteries testing fine but not working in a bass.

And make sure it's the bass and not the cable or amp.

Don't know about your friends bass but you can't compare it to yours if yours is not working correctly.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Wait a minute. You said after you got the bass back, implying you had someone do the work? If a tech did the work, take it back to them, don't jack with it. They should cover it.