Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active preamp for a warwick

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by konfishily, May 24, 2005.

1. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have a Warwick streamer passive, that im thinking about going active. It is 2 pickup, 3 knobed. What preamps do you guys recommend without loosing the current tone.

Aguilar obp-1?
    Bartolini NTMB 3.4?

Drilling more holes is a possibility but i'd rather not

2. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio

I put the 2 band version (NTBT) in my passive Corvette and it sounds great....watch diming the treble though! I feel the tone is well-retained, but those MEC's might be getting replaced soon. The Bart was shipped on a pre-wired harness and installation was fairly simple (the instructions actually are to be desired somewhat....but my dad and I are solder savvy).

The Aggie requires 18 volts I believe and is boost only...but have heard good things too.....

Probably can't go wrong with either choice.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Are you sure you don't mean aguilar obp-3? The obp-1 is two band, boost only.

Between the Bart and the Aguilar, it's just a question of preference. They're both great preamps. The off the shelf Bart preamps I've noticed to have a slight high end rolloff, can be handy in an acoustically bright bass but a pain in a naturally dark bass. I had a bart preamp and pickups in my Thumb 5, and I hated the results. OTOH, I have bart preamp / pickups in other basses (elrick, mtd) and love the sound.
    IMO the Aguilar is more transparent, if slightly noisier when boosting treble.

4. I am quite interested in this as well, got an old Corvette, passive atm, would like to make it active. Again 3 knobs, 2 pickups. Will be watching with interest.

5. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    All the configurations i've found for the obp-3 had 4 knobs, and i really dont feel like putting holes into my bass.

Either
    2 vol, mid,bass/treb stack
    or
    1 vol, blend, mid, bass/treb stack

I dont suppose they make volume/blend stacks?

6. They do - Warwick make 'em for the Thumb Basses with 3 band EQ. Dana B. Goods will ship one to you if you call them nicely, but they're for active pickups only and they have a pull switch for active/passive (for active pickups? Odd...) This makes them very deep, you need a thick body to accommodate them. Or your bass does. You know what I mean...

You could always install the obp-3 with the mid control inside the cavity.

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    it's for preamp bypass only. If you have active pickups and your battery dies, no active/passive bypass switch will save you

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You could do stacked vol/vol, mid (with push/pull for mid freq), stacked bass/treble

9. True - but as there's not a huge sound difference between active pickups without a preamp and active pickups with a preamp, it seems a little pointless. :meh:

10. Good luck finding a 250/250k stack for passive pickups! :rolleyes:

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, it depends on the preamp coloration doesn't it?
    Also, as someone whose MEC preamp gave out on him mid gig, it wasn't pointless to me.
    I've found 250k stacked pots before - in fact I have several in my parts drawer right now.
    If you can't find 250K, stacked 500K are easy to find and do the job just as well.

12. Well, it depends on the preamp coloration doesn't it?
    Also, as someone whose MEC preamp gave out on him mid gig, it wasn't pointless to me.

>>Can't argue with that! I've also had SD preamps fail when the voltage dropped while the active soapbars kept going. Grrr.

I've found 250k stacked pots before - in fact I have several in my parts drawer right now.

>>A rash admission - they'll be queueing at your drawer.

If you can't find 250K, stacked 500K are easy to find and do the job just as well.

>>Now we're back to tonal coloration (grin)

Incidentally, I did domething I never normally do and followed your profile links to MiMi FURIOUS - excellent band! I'd almost given up original music to become a cajun/blues rat...I see you're in a JD cover band too - are you English?

13. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Whoa thats a good idea, i didnt think of that. I could just put the mids to 5 and adjust my mids on my outboard preamp.

I could still do that with the obp-1 right? I dont want to really change my sound jsut some more juice.

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    true, although you could say that it's 250K pots that are doing coloration since they are blocking some of the highs. With my thumb, I found it sounded better using 500K stacked vol pots. I had an aguilar obp-3 preamp wired vol/vol,mid,bass/treble.
    thanks!
    And while I'm British, I'm not from England - I'm from Scotland. Most people who hear me talk over here just assume I'm Irish.

15. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Actually, I went back through my links. Can't remember if this is where I bought my stacked 250K pots from before, but these guys have them in stock:

customluthier.com page

16. Snap. Scottish father, French mother, over here since '97. I'm the guy who had tickets to see Joy Division and gave them away, because I was going on a date which turned into a 3 year disaster. Talk about Loosing Control...(grin) Now I live in CT and work in NY. And play German basses. And have an Irish girlfriend, a Swiss son and a German mother-in law. Go figure!