Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active preamp for P-bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Thinking about getting an active preamp for my passive p-bass, is that possible or must i have an active pickup for that?

What companys makes good active preamps?

Thanks! :bassist:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, the raven labs pbr-1 is a great K.I.S.S. preamp. You don't need active pickups to have an active preamp

3. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    The Raven labs looks kind of tempting, i was hoping to get more knobs then the standard Volume & Tone :meh:

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, the tone on pbr-1 gives you bass/treble in one. I found it's operation very intuitive, and while I'm normally a fan of 3 band preamps I was very happy with the simplicity of the raven labs.

If you really need separate control of bass/treble, there's also the BTB-01 (or P-Retro) from John East - the maker of the U/J-Retro preamp. Steve Barr at Vintage Bass Trading is the US importer of these - more info at http:/j-retro.co.uk or http://www.thedudepit.com

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I have tried both the PBR-1 and the BTB-01.

The PBR-1 is nice and simple and sounds great. Unfortunately, Steve Rabes has retired and closed down Raven Labs. So, you may have a hard time finding a PBR-1. Check with Dude, but I believe that he sold off his remaining inventory.

The BTB-01 is a great preamp. I put one in an 80's MIJ P bass and it really rocked. Fool that I am, I sold that bass. I thought the BTB-01 really brought that bass alive. It is a bold preamp.

6. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Thanks for your answer Xyllion and Brian! ;)

Gonna check those things out some more!