1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Active preamp for P-bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    Thinking about getting an active preamp for my passive p-bass, is that possible or must i have an active pickup for that?

What companys makes good active preamps?

Thanks! :bassist:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, the raven labs pbr-1 is a great K.I.S.S. preamp. You don't need active pickups to have an active preamp

3. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    The Raven labs looks kind of tempting, i was hoping to get more knobs then the standard Volume & Tone :meh:

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, the tone on pbr-1 gives you bass/treble in one. I found it's operation very intuitive, and while I'm normally a fan of 3 band preamps I was very happy with the simplicity of the raven labs.

If you really need separate control of bass/treble, there's also the BTB-01 (or P-Retro) from John East - the maker of the U/J-Retro preamp. Steve Barr at Vintage Bass Trading is the US importer of these - more info at http:/j-retro.co.uk or http://www.thedudepit.com

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I have tried both the PBR-1 and the BTB-01.

The PBR-1 is nice and simple and sounds great. Unfortunately, Steve Rabes has retired and closed down Raven Labs. So, you may have a hard time finding a PBR-1. Check with Dude, but I believe that he sold off his remaining inventory.

The BTB-01 is a great preamp. I put one in an 80's MIJ P bass and it really rocked. Fool that I am, I sold that bass. I thought the BTB-01 really brought that bass alive. It is a bold preamp.

6. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    Thanks for your answer Xyllion and Brian! ;)

Gonna check those things out some more!

7. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    ..look at EMG's. :hyper: