Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active Preamp Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Razor, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Here's the question, and I am looking for as many possible options as possible from all you pickup and internal preamp guru's out there.

I have a Spector Performance series bass. Got it used for a deal. It has the very basic passive electronics in it which consist of two EMG-SSD series humbucking pickup's (standard pickups on this model bass). There are four knobs on the bass, a volume and a tone knob for each humbucker.

I would like to add an active preamp into the bass via rear routed compartment and still use the existing 4 pots and EMG-SSD pickups. This being the case...can it be done? Adding an active pre to passive pickup's? And if so...given the knob/pickup configuration what are choices for preamps? (Exact models are preferred so I can look at the specific choices).

As always, thanks for the help ladies and gent's.......
    Alan

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I think you can use an EMG preamp...the BT circuit...with that configuration...that's what I have on my Pro series basses, with four knobs...I'd make sure they'd work with those P/Us, but I'm sure they would...

3. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    EMG-BTS System looks like it'll be the one. How does yours sound with the similar setup? I just got a P-Lyte back from the shop that I had an active Bartolini Pre put in it....that sucker is smokin' hot now with output. I am very impressed with it. I do like the passive sound of the EMG-SSD's though...

4. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    It works pretty well, especially after I added a second 9v battery to bring the system up to 18v. Check it out

EMG Preamp Upgrade

Really fattened up my tone, and it only cost me an extra dollar in a battery clip!

The EMG-HZs in the Pro series Spectors are also passive.

5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Be aware that if you build the harness in fig.3, the diagram is incorrect. Do not reverse the leads on the clip that would be used for connecting to the battery clip of your bass. If you do the current will be reversed and it won't work.

Keep the wires the same all the way around (black to red). A nice side bennefit will be that it won't matter which clip is used for the bass (and the other two for the batteries).

We discussed this in another thread and I wasn't the only one who realized the diagram was wrong. One guy found out the hard way, with his bass.:(

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Hey Rick...ain't seen you in a while my friend! How are things??
    Rev...thanks very much for the info. Only question now is....I think I can fit one 9 volt into the cavity...what about two though with that preamp? I think Spector's probably have the same size control cavity and I really don't wanna spend the money to have a dedicated hole routed for it. You thinktwo 9 volts will fit?

7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Hey Razor,
    How's the Hartke?

From what I remember about the cavities in my Spectors, I think 2 9volts could fit. Plus if you build the harness, you can move the batteries around to fit and/or unclip the harness from the Spector's clip and go back to using 1 9volt at any time.

8. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    The Hartke is still pumping out the juice. It's actually a tough/pretty good sounding amp after I got past that initial problem and started using it a lot. I am pleased with it but I do foresee myself getting a nice power amp to run the POD Pro into and using the Hartke as a back-up/practice amp.

I am going to get the EMG active preamp and do just what you said. I will wire it into the cavity and I am sure by looking at the cavity that I can get one 9 volt in there...if I have room I'll squeeze two but I know I can get one. It's a good sized cavity. I hope things are going well in Vegas my friend, hopefully we can hook up next time I come out there! :bassist:

9. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    My tech stacked the second battery on top of the first one, and then cut a piece of mouse pad the same shape and glued it to the compartment cover so that when you screw it back on, the pressure holds everything in place. You'll have more than enough room if you do it that way!

:)

10. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Cool....sounds great. Thanks very much Rev

11. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Not a problem Razor! Let us know how things turn out!

12. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    If you want options, EMG BQC or the Aguilar OBP-3 are the most versatile preamps I've ever seen. The capabilities of both are practically unmatched. And they actually fit in a 4 hole system.