1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Active PUP's > Headphone hiss?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Vandy, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Vandy

Vandy Banned

Dec 24, 2011
    Colorado
    After various searches here (TalkBass), I have not run across this particular scenario - but, cross-info speculation leads me to ask the following:
    So, a "rehearsal room" containing:
    A) computer w/recording software,
    B) pre-amp gadgets, etc. for microphones, XLR/quarter-inch "ins" for bass, drums (pads as trap set), guitar & keys that feed said computer, plus headphones that receive the mix (watch your step!),
    C) recessed ceiling incandescent lamps,
    D) security "smoked-glass bubbles",
    . . . can all create a "noisy" headphone environment?
    "Live", the bkgd. noises are negligible. For instance, my Hartke has a wee bit o' treble hiss, but . . .
    Headphone-wise, I'm the "culprit" > Ibanez BTB (active) > Hartke 210c (speaker unplugged; XLR out). My amp level is (maybe) 8 o'clock, my ground lift on/off makes no difference, my XLR pre/post makes no difference, adding/subtracting pedals - nada (usually, just a TU-3 tuner), kinda' fiddling with the detached 1/4" pre-amp/amp feed that goes to the combo speakers affects the bkgd. a little - but, there's a hiss in the phones - until I turn off the amp. But, when "on", I can move (walk, or sway) and the sibilance will increase/decrease. Raising the head of my bass toward a recessed light will increasee the hiss . . .
    Did I mention that it's a "finished" low-ceiling basement & we're stuck in a 10x12ft. section (double glass panel-doors, nice paint/carpet). It's the drummer's place (he's also the sound/record tech) . . .
    What's a good troubleshooting starting point? Sometimes, the drum set-up (pads and/or module), or the keys go wonky, but that's a much worse "crackly" intrusion (or complete cut-out) . . .
    And, of course, the others hate me . . .
    I'm going mad I tell you, mad!!! :p