Active Ric.. Has it been done?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I'm thinking of buying a used 4003, and putting a J retro or Aguilar OBP3 preamp (or whatever it is :p), and some SD Humbuckers would be nice.. But, has it been done? Has there been any other form of active ric?
  2. I'm sure it would sound pretty sick.
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think Alembic made a set of replacement pickups "activators" for the RICs that were active. Can't testify to how they would sound, but I'm willing to wager its not the "classic" ric tone!

Any specific reason you want to replace the pickups as well as the preamp? Why not just use an active preamp like the U-retro with the Rick and see how it sounds before re-routing to get new pickups in the RIC!
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    'Twas just a thought.. I'm not going to rush this. Hell, it's not even my main focus.
  5. Yup, it's been done...
    In my 74 rick. I've got a EMG BTS active circut. It's pretty good, but I think I'm going to put it back to passive.
  6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have never done such a thing to my Ric, but I remember seeing one at Subway Guitars in Berkeley (I do not advocate doing business with Subway in any way, shape, or form) that had a Bart active soapbar grafted to it. Unfortunately, it looked as if it required major surgery of the most unpleasant kind. What about an outboard, like a Sadowsky, Aguilar, or Fodera?
  7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I have Bartolini direct replacement pickups in my 4001. I'm sure I could add a Bartolini active preamp but I've decided to keep the bass passive. Yes, Alembic makes(or made) "activators" that are powered by a 9 volt battery. I'm sure there are many options in the way of installing active pickups in a Ric. It all depends on how much you want to modify your bass. I now regret replacing my stock pickups. My 4001 sounds really good, but it does'nt sound like a Ric anymore!

Ric used to make the model 4002 which I believe had low- impedance pickups.
  8. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i have a stock 4001. all that i can say is that outboard sadowsky preamp works great with the rick.

so an active rick could be a really interesting project.
  9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah, well they will probably end up costing more than the bass itself.