1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Active SCPB? Does one exist? Are they possible?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by knucklehead G, Sep 28, 2010.

1. This is something I've had in my head for a while.. is it possible to have an active single-coil P bass pickup? '51 style. Not a passive pickup and active electronics, but a fully active system is what I'm looking for.

I've tried Google and the forum search and come up empty handed a few times, so I figured I'd just ask.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I can't think of one. Active pickups are very uncommon anyway. EMG mostly, a few Barts and Duncans, that's pretty much it.

3. I don't think I've ever seen an active SCPB.

And you would need a rear-route, or a very very tiny preamp.

4. Why on earth would you want such a thing?

5. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    EMG

6. It wouldn't be going on a '51. I'm laying out a build and had picked two active soapbars that I like the sound of, but I'd like to stick a P between them. I think the SCPB would be nice since I could switch between modern soapbars and vintagey P, and as far as I know you can't wire active and passive pickups together.

7. If you add in a buffer for the passive to lower it's output impedance, you can.

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Why? What would you hope to achieve? What could an active single-coil pickup offer you that a passive counterpart could not, aside from the buffer for use with longer cables?

I think that if you tried to add the internal pre and buffer, you would likely just make the 60-cycle hum more prominent and annoying.

9. I just wasn't aware I could wire active and passive together, that is the only reason I wanted an active SCPB.

10. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Nope. Impossible. Completely impossible.

;)

11. Yes, it absolutely cannot be done!
    Anyone that suggests it can is a fool! Don't let anyone tell you that you can do it, because you cannot!
    It is impossible! Give up right now!

Ok guys, I'm off to my new job as a motivational speaker.:bag:

12. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

Aug 3, 2005

So, these guys are hiring you, then? ;)

13. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Do want.

14. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Use an EMG S or SA pickup.
    It's a stacked single coil and has a blade pole piece so it will work fine on a bass.
    The S uses a ceramic magnet, and the SA uses an alnico.

And yes, you can wire a passive pickups to a preamp or buffer.

15. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I was going to suggest the EMG strat pickups as well.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021