1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Active Setup in a standard J-bass cavity...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by asnutter, Mar 22, 2006.

1. asnutter

asnutter

May 11, 2005
    Southwestern PA
    Is it possible to install an active EMG pickup setup, (including pots) to a passive jazz bass without re-routing the control cavity for the battery clip???
    I am not sure if the electronics and battery clip would fit in the standard j-bass cavity...
    I'm guessing not...

2. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Hey asnutter,

Out of curiousity, have you tried contacting tech help at EMG?

3. asnutter

asnutter

May 11, 2005
    Southwestern PA
    Have not contacted them...
    That is a great idea!!!
    Think I shall do that after exhausting all of the knowledge obtained from the REAL PROFESSIONALS in this forum...
    Thanks!!!

4. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    :D

In the meantime, a couple questions:

-Would it be the same number of pots?

-If you don't already have the electronics, do you know of a store near you that carries what you want? If there is, you might be able to talk them into showing you the whole setup so that you have a better idea of the space required.

At any rate, good luck!

5. asnutter

asnutter

May 11, 2005
    Southwestern PA
    oh yes...same number of pots...in fact the electronics and the pickups come together!!!
    standard 3 pot + input jack in addition to the battery clip (but no control plate),...

6. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Okay, so you're talking about this set:
    http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Bass&categoryid=25

My guess is you're probably right: it won't fit. Rather than rerouting the entire cavity, would you consider routing a seperate cavity for the battery? You wouldn't need a cover, as you could get a "battery box," cut a small hole in the side to fit the EMG battery clip through, and there you go.

Here's an example of a battery box here:
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Battery_clips_and_holders/Battery_Boxes.html

Just a thought.

7. clay_tone

clay_tone

Mar 22, 2006
    i have emg-jset in my mexi jazz. installed it myself. it will fit but it is tight. the battery fits under the pots. if u want to change to the 18v setup it would be a tough fit but still do able. u do have to take the control plate off to change the battery which is kinda a pain in the neck but oh well. i registered just so i could post this reply.

8. asnutter

asnutter

May 11, 2005
    Southwestern PA
    Thanks Clay!!!
    I spoke with the EMG guys yesterday...
    he said that it would fit in the cavity as well, but offered the suggestion of using a cavity routed into the back...

The body I am using is already finished and I wouldnt want to risk "ruining" the finish...

9. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    If you're just installing the pickups and "passive" controls (rather than the EMG active EQ system), the pots are not really any bigger than standard pots and there are no other "electronics" to speak of, so all you've got to worry about is whether your control cavity has space to add a battery.

Since there's some variation in the size of Jazz control cavities, why not just take a 9v battery and see if you can fit it in with the original pots that are already there?

Mike