1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Active side of my bass not sounding thru pedalboard but sounds fine straight to amp.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Berme, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    Hi, sorry in advance for the long post! I made several searches here and in other forums and already know that I will have to disconnect and reconnect everything in the pedalboard, trying one pedal at a time. Anyway, I didn't find a plausible cause to my problem and I fear to repeat the issue again and again.

I just rearranged my pedalboard and tried it as usual with the passive side of my dual active/passive Valenti bass. Each of the pedals sounded great, no hiss, no strange noises.

However, when I tried the active side, no sound came from the bass. Ok, time to change the battery, I guessed. After changing it with a new one, still no sound.

The weirdest thing is that when I connect the bass straight to my amp (bass-cable- amp) or straight to my Scarlett interface, both active and passive sides of the bass sound perfectly fine, no issues.

I've tried another active/passive bass, a G&L L-2500, achieving the very same weird behavior. A passive Fender Precision bass and a passive Fender Telecaster guitar sound thru the pedalboard no problem, so it seems like some interaction between the on-board active preamps and some of the pedals or the Voodoo Labs power unit is the culprit.

As I said before, I found no references to issues similar to this on the internet, and have no idea about what to do differently when I rearrange the pedalboard. Also no new gear is being used in this situation, as the basses, amps, cables, pedals and power units have played fine with each other in the past.

Any help will be appreciated!

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    This happened to another one of my customers. He had a cable that a ring, tip and sleeve. Something about isolating the ground or something. That was causing the same exact issue you're describing.

Aloe likes this.
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I found the pic of the cable he was using in out text thread. I hope this helps.

Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 11.28.55 AM.

54387003490__5895ECC9-9EED-4B63-8D60-938FF49A89E6.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  4. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    Passive guitars use a TS cable (two-contact jack), active one usually have a TRS jack and assume R is connected with S to power on (it actually happens when a TS jack is plugged in, or if you use a TRS jack and the contacts are connected on the other side of cable).

Scarlett has a TRS jack, but pedals may have a TS one (leaving R not connected to S sometimes). I’d second a recommendation to verify you use a TS cable to connect your bass guitars.

5. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    Wow, thank you Nino, thank you Aloe! Problem solved! That was it!

I was using this TRS balanced cable for so long that I forgot about it! As I play my basses passive nowadays without issues, I had not taken the instrument cable into account. That is, of course, till I tried the active side.

What I didn't know was that the active side would still work with a TRS balanced cable straight to amp or to the Scarlett!