1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Active sounding passive pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mitchelllucas, Aug 1, 2008.

1. mitchelllucas

mitchelllucas

Jul 29, 2008
    hello

i am looking for some new pickups for my fender jazz fretless

i have a cort g series with active pickups and i like the sound of them too

my jazz just has a plaing dull tone and i wan to gett them to sound active is there any pickups or gear that i could buy and easily work with to get that tone?

donka much

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Couple of things:

"Active" and "passive" are not really descriptions of what something sounds like. Each of them can sound many different ways, so it's hard to say what will sound the way you want.

That said, there are three solutions: get new pickups, get an onboard preamp, or get an outboard (pedal) preamp. The easiest is the outboard/pedal- you can plug any bass into it and get the benefits of an active bass. There are lots and lots of pedal preamps out there -hundreds of them- so the questions are "how much can you spend" and "what extra features do you want, like EQ or amp simulation or overdrive" etc.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Pickups.

4. Pretty much.

A Jazz really shouldn't be too dull. If it sounds too dull, perhaps the strings are too old and/or it's not set up well. Check your amp, too.

5. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    I think Seymour Duncan Quarterpound pickups might do the trick , they are punchy and have a strong attack, you will lose some low mids switching to these but they do have plenty of high mids

6. Look into Villex.

7. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    +1 I was going to recommend the same

8. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    EMG's

If you want that classic 'active tone' then your thinking of EMG's. Just take the plunge!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021