Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active to passive conversion

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EricF, Oct 13, 2005.

1. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I have a MIJ P-Bass Lyte Deluxe that has a 3-band active eq. I'm considering removing the pcb, battery, etc. and running it passive (the existing pups aren't active, just the eq). I'd change the pots to vol & tone for each pup with a series/parallel switch to fill the 5th hole. Any problems with doing this mod?

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Look into Bartolini and Aguilar preamps. Many of them come prewired with a switch/toggle/pot for switching from active to passive. Make sure you get one with a seperate passive tone control. This way, you can have your active EQ and then switch to passive and control it both ways.

Something to think about.

-Eric.

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

Does the Lyte Deluxe have a P/J configuration? I used to have the standard P Lyte, and after I changed the pickups I put them in a passive franken bass. They worked fine, so I think you will be ok with doing this.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    There should be no problem doing what you say

5. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    I just did this on my son's Les Paul bass. just get the right parts & wiring diagram and you'll be ok. it took us a little over a hour to do and it turned out great. fender has the diagrams on their website and you can get the parts from many places. go for it!

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Showdown - The one I have has a P/Humbucker configuration.

New pots, caps, and switch are on the way. I'm crossing my fingers that this turns out to be a success.

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It should work fine.

8. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
  9. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    My P Lyte Deluxe active-to-passive transformation has been completed. Each pup has its own volume and tone (I used 250k pots and .047 caps from Bass Parts Resource) and a DPDT On/On switch provides series/parallel options. In parallel mode, each pups controls work individually, as expected. In series mode, the bridge volume control acts as a master volume, and the tone seems slightly fatter than both pups wide open in parallel mode. Initially, things look like they will work out pretty well. I'm looking forward to getting this baby back in regular service.

10. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Yep, active to passive is simple. Passive to active can be a pain because of routing though. Glad it worked!