Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

active vs. passive, customization advice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by myrios, May 2, 2003.

1. myrios

myrios

Apr 30, 2003
    I bought a Fender MIJ P-J body from the 80's. The electronics are active, but the seller neglected to tell me that the P pick-ups were not installled. They turned out to be Seymour Duncan Antiquity II's. I gave up on that body but kept all of the electronics.

Now, I am in the process of deciding what pick-ups to put into a custom body I am having built for use with a Fender jazz fretless neck and/ or a P- Bass neck. The body will be made of Paduak wood.

Questions:

- Can I use my MIJ electronics ( including the neck J pick-up) passively. That is just remove the battery from the connections?

- I'm presuming my P pick-ups simply will not work actively .... correct?

- What would be your (collectively) opinion on whether I should even consider using these pick-ups at all? I can choose to put any kind of pick-ups in this body ... the routing is yet to be done.

- What is your general opinion on active vs. passive set ups?

Thanks,
    Myrios

2. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    It's tough to understand exactly what you're saying.

What brand are the J Pickups? and The P's?

It could very possibly the all of your pu's are passive and that there's and active EQ running them.

3. myrios

myrios

Apr 30, 2003
    Okay... I finally figured this out:

the pickups are both "Fender". but the P Pickups are apparently manufactured by Seymour Duncan and are high-impedance and they DO work with this Fender active module.

Thanks for the reply...

-myrios