Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active vs. Passive pickups and Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gsummer, Feb 28, 2001.

1. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    I was wondering if active or passive pickups are better for flatwound strings. I currently use flats on my active bass, but I am thinking about buying a new bass and I don't know whether to get active or passive PU's. I don't like lots of highs or that clanky sound that you can get with actives. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. I'm a big fan of flats, but I've never liked the results on any of my active basses. IMO, they seem to sound a lot better with a passive bass.

Of course, passive Fender type basses work really well with flats. I would personally recommend one of the passive G&L's to stock with flats. I have an SB-2 and it sounds really great with flats on it. Their other passive models are the LB-100 and SB-1 which are Precision style basses and the new JB-2 is the their passive Jazz type bass.

Here's a shot of a G&L LB-100. That's a bass that sounds really sweet with flats.

[​IMG]

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    If your new bass is gonna' be an Epi Jack Casady, then I'll vote PASSIVE.
    I think the way that Electar pup is setup is it's LOW impedance with
    some taps, but then the signal's run through a transformer to make
    it HIGH Z. Flatwounds love this pup. I've tried GHS Precision Flats
    and T/I Jazz Flats with good results. Right now, I've actually got
    Rotosound TAPES on it :D:D:D.

I stuck a (passive) DiMarzio DP127 on my "Frankenstein"
    Yamaha RBX260F (fretless). It sports T/I Jazz Flats => schweet :) .

4. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    Thanks guys, that's what I needed to know. Are the G&L's expensive? I mean the particular models you are talking about. I am looking to stay under $900, although I guess I would make a slight exception for a really superior bass. Also, in your opinion, do flats sound better on precision or jazz type basses?

5. That particular G&L LB-100 shown above was selling for around $625 in fact. A new passive G&L should certainly be well under $900.

Have a look at www.gbase.com and serch under G&L basses. You'll get a range of prices from a variety of stores.

As far as P or J being better with flats, I think they both sound great. I'm probably a little partial to the P but I can really appreciate both. If you can't decide, the SB-2 sounds like either. :)

6. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    Oh, I thought they were more expensive than that? Well I'm glad I'm wrong. Do you personally think G&L's are much better than Fenders? I have noticed that alot of people on this site think Fenders are no good. I personally like Fenders, but that is probably because they are really all I've played and because basically all my favorite old-school players use them. Anyway, I'd like your opinion because I want to know what it is that people don't like (other than the mass production). Of course maybe you do like Fenders, I don't know. Basically I am wondering why I would wnat to buy a G&L Fender style bass instead of a Fender. Hope that makes sense.

Galen

7. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    To get back to the original question, I have flats (tapes, actually) on both active and passive fretlesses, and while both sound good, I prefer the passives. To me, it gives a slightly "sweeter" tone. The active sounds good, but it doesn't seem to improve the sound as much as it did with roundwounds.

8. Good passives are fantastic, but I also like the EMG P with flats and the treble turned all the way up. A whole different way to hear flats. With Thomastiks, plucking the strings down by the base of the neck, it sounds a whole lot like an acoustic with Spirocores and piezos. With Pyramids, it has the classic flatwound P sound but livelier. Overall, the response is a lot flatter and more hi-fi than most folks like, but it gathers some interesting and uncommon sounds from nickel flatwounds.