1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Active vs Passive question for PF500 users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kat888, Jan 11, 2016.

1. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    I *know* this is very unscientific, anecdotal and based on hearsay ... BUT as an owner of active basses I have a question for passive bass-slingers re their experience with the PF500 (assume PF350 and PF800 are probably similar).

With the instrument set flat/maximum (ie vol on full and tone not rolled off) and PF500 B, M, T all set at noon and compression off, at what point goes the gain control reliably drive the preamp into clipping?

My active basses do this at around 1-2 oclock, getting definitely dirty by 3 oclock (-15dB pad switch is NOT engaged). Just trying to get a rough idea how hot the outputs on the instrument preamps are.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    For me, with a Precision, around 1-2:00, but with my P Lyte that has EMG PJ's, around noon.

3. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    Thanks Jimmy, helpful as always.

Wierdly, the Italia (piezo bridge) is marginally hotter than the Tbird Pro, which was contrary to my expectation. I have tried engaging the pad, but the gain has to be up full to get anything out if the amp. Maybe different if I was wicking the EQ.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, it's all interactive to a degree. Playing style is also a very important factor. Someone who plays harder than I do would cause the lights to come on sooner.

5. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    I'm actually pretty heavy handed with the pick (there are historical reasons for this). Having spent the last day listening to George Murray and Gail Ann Dorsey I'm thinking I have to get into a bit of finger style/clean compression.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016