Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active wiring woes

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Captain Freedom, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Someone please help me !!!
    I bought a Active Yamaha RBX800A (1991 model)Bass off of ebay as a project bass. With a P & J style pickup config. The electronics where not attached, And can't get it going. I can get a buzz but no music.

It came with 4 pots, 1 piggy backed (clicks into a middle position when rotated)2nd pot (smooth rotation-Volume?) 3rd in chain (Mid Click) 4th in chain (Mid click).

These are all connected through a flat ribbon cable,
    Both pickups have 3 wires red, white, naked (shielding?)
    red & black from 9volt box, 2nd pot has 2 wires coming off of circit board white& naked.(even though all circit boards are connected with ribbon cable)

Everything seems to have to be wired to the 1st piggy back pot!

Whatever help anyone can give, would be greatly appreciated.

What do i have 1 volume & 3 selectors? I would idealy like to end up with 2 volumes & 2 tones.

Can't seem to find any schematics for this config.

Thanks in advance
    Captain Freedom:bassist:

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Sounds like you've got a 2-band active EQ. The piggybacked pot sounds like a blend, the smooth one sounds like master volume, and the others are probably bass and treble.

Difficult to tell what all the wires mean without a schematic. The hot pickup leads generally go into the center lugs of the blend, the blend goes out to the volume, then, the volume goes to the EQ circuit. THat's the best I can do for ya without a diagram.

3. That's a big help , thanks alot:D I can at least work from there
    Thanks